Tuesday, January 15, 2008

Christmas and New Year in China

I haven't had a Christmas or New Year in my own country (England) for about 23 years. Even when I lived in England I often went away for Christmas. So, I am always celebrating the holidays in a foreign country. Just for example, I've spent Christmas in Austria, Morocco, USA, Mexico, and China.

My Chinese Christmas and New Year were really more like Mongolian style than Chinese, because our apartment was full of Tuya's Mongolian girlfriends and her brother. Some friends live here, some visiting from Mongolia and one from Shanghai. They cooked some amazing food and we drank lots of alcohol (wine, beer and vodka) and sang songs. My god, mongolian girls can drink amazing amounts! Not as much as me, but they are half my size.

New Year's eve was similar to Christmas but we had a few less guests. A couple of days later we had a second New Year party at a friends home. Bayaarma and Frank are a Mongolian girl and Canadian born chinese guy. We have become pretty good friends and have gone out to clubs as a foursome a few times. It's nice to speak to somebody who speaks native english occasionally. We had some great food again and drink. I had to go to work the next day, so we went home maybe by 2am.

Photos coming soon.

1 comment:

China Cell Phone Rental said...

China is a country of migrants. I saw a modern city with a very large population become quiet over a fortnightly period. Streets usually bustling with people were strangely, at such a festive season, quietened. Restaurants I was used to frequenting, closed. The train and bus stations were fit to burst with an annual magnitude far exceeding reasonable fore planning.