Monday, August 13, 2007

Saturday night dancing at "Fabric"

Last weekend was my second weekend in London. The previous weekend Tuya and I went to "Beachcomber", a very small nightclub in Queensway. This weekend I decided to take her and Deegii (her high school friend from Mongolia who now lives in London as well) to a much bigger, fancier place called "Fabric".

Just like everything else in London, everything seems to cost double what it costs in Los Angeles. But I don't get paid double what I made in LA. I've stopped converting things into dollars. It just makes me angry so I try to avoid the resultant rise in blood pressure by not thinking too much about it.

We had a couple of drinks at a pub first. Then we went into "Fabric". It cost about 20 pounds each and I payed for everybody. Actually, I payed for everything for everybody the whole night. Fair enough, I volunteered and I'm the only one with a job of any consequence. Also, my companions are fun and great to look at. So it's a fair trade.

"Fabric" seems to be mostly underground and has an interesting architecture with brick-built archways. Like a 19th century railway station. There's supposedly 6 rooms playing different music by famous DJ's. The music was very danceable but a bit monotonous without much variation. The club was extremely dark and smoky, probably for atmosphere and ambience but I couldn't really see the crowds very well. That would make it hard to pick out prospective partners if you were looking to hook-up. Also, it seemed like there was a lot more men than women. Everytime I went to the toilet, my female companions were approached by potential suitors. I'm sure that boosted their egos. When I returned nobody would approach them, although maybe Deegii wanted them to.

Unfortunately, forcing Tuya to drink beer so quickly in the pub caused her to get really, really drunk. Luckily, she was very nice, loving, and sentimental but she didn't want to stay very long. So, even though Deegii and I would have been happy to stay a couple more hours, we left about 2am and got a private taxi home. Tuya impressed the taxi driver with her English skills which included all the best four-letter words that you can't say on the radio or daytime TV.

No comments: